As part of the centennial celebration of U.S. Coast Guard aviation this year, the service has painted a Sikorsky Aircraft MH-60 Jayhawk bright yellow, the paint scheme used in the late 1940s and early 1950s for both Coast Guard and the U.S. Navy rotorcraft. It’s a brighter take on the USCG’s usual livery of orange and white. The commemorative aircraft will be stationed at Coast Guard Air Station Astoria, Oregon, for the next four years.
USCG aviation began officially on April 1, 1916, after 3rd Lt. Elmer Stone and 2nd Lt. Charles E. Sugden were assigned to aviation training at Naval Air Station Pensacola, Florida.
In a related development, Jan. 14 marked the 74th anniversary of the first flight of the Sikorsky R-4, the Coast Guard’s first helicopter and the world’s first production helicopter.
Photo courtesy of the U.S. Coast Guard