Helicopter Assn. International (HAI) is now calling for nominations for the 2018 Salute to Excellence awards. The nomination period will close early this year, HAI said, due to a scheduling change. The deadline is Sept. 25, 2017.
Recipients are to be honored during Heli-Expo, which is slated for Las Vegas Feb. 27 to March 1 next year. Nominations are open to all individuals and companies in the helicopter industry. Nominees and nominators need not be HAI members.
There are nine award categories. HAI's descriptions are as follows:
- The Golden Hour Award recognizes the efforts of an individual, group or organization that, through a particular activity or contributions over time, has advanced the use of helicopters in the vital mission of air medical transport.
- The Pilot of the Year Award recognizes an outstanding single feat performed by a helicopter pilot during the year or extraordinary professionalism over a period of time. Nominees must be active helicopter pilots.
- The Lifetime Achievement Award salutes excellence in management and leadership. The award honors an individual for long and significant service to the international helicopter community. Nominees need not be licensed pilots.
- The Safety Award acknowledges outstanding contributions in the promotion of safety and safety awareness throughout the international helicopter community.
- The Excellence in Communications Award acknowledges the individual or organization achieving the most creative and distinct dissemination of information about the helicopter industry.
- The Law Enforcement Award recognizes an individual or organization that has contributed to the promotion and advancement of helicopters in support of law enforcement activities. Nominees are not limited to pilots or law enforcement personnel.
- The Excellence in Helicopter Maintenance Award recognizes an individual for longstanding excellence in helicopter maintenance, maintenance instruction or supervision, or a single significant contribution to helicopter maintenance. Eligibility is limited to active helicopter maintenance personnel.
- The Humanitarian Service Award honors the person or persons who best demonstrate the value of helicopters to the communities in which they operate by providing aid to those in need. The award may be for a particular mission or for outstanding service over a period of time.
- The W.A. “Dub” Blessing Flight Instructor of the Year Award recognizes superlative contributions by a helicopter flight instructor in upholding high standards of excellence.