The Fresno County, California, Sheriff’s Office has a new MD Helicopters Inc. MD 530F. The manufacturer said Monday this delivery makes the office the first law enforcement air unit in the U.S. to operate the all-glass cockpit.
“Our MD Helicopters aircraft patrol seven days a week, 365 days a year, and have played an integral role in ensuring the safety of all who live, work and visit Fresno County,” said Margaret Mims, sheriff at the Fresno County Sheriff’s Office. “We are excited to welcome this MD 530F to our air support unit and to the expanded search and rescue and high-altitude capabilities it will deliver, and thank the County Board of Supervisors for their support.”
The new helicopter features a Garmin 500H EFIS flight display, Garmin GTN650H touchscreen, GPS/Navigation and communications panel, Aero Computers UC-6000 airborne mapping system, and a Garmin GTR 225 audio panel.
Image courtesy of MD Helicopters Inc.
Powered by the Rolls-Royce 250-C30 650shp turbine engine, the aircraft also has extended landing gear, a Fargo 21-gallon auxiliary fuel tank, wire strike protection system and Talon LC Keeperless hydraulic release cargo hook for external loads up to 2,000 pounds.
MD Helicopters said it integrated additional mission equipment, including:
- Hi-Viz blades
- TFO Transmit Switches
- Satellite Phone
- PA System
- FLIR 380HDc
- NVISB Interior
- 6.5” and 12” Displays
- M4 Mounts
The manufacturer has on display at Heli-Expo (booth N5505) in Las Vegas a MD 530F configured for law enforcement, as well as an MD 530G configured for combat. These aircraft are to be delivered in the second and third quarters of this year, respectively. Both feature an all-glass cockpit.
MD Helicopters’ displayed 530F is designated for the Virginia Beach Police Department, while the MD 530G is designated for the Malaysian Ministry of Defence, which ordered six units.
- When the 530F is delivered in June, it would be the Virginia Beach Police Department’s first of the model. The aircraft features:
- Howell Instruments Engine Instruments Displays
- Garmin 500TXi multifunction display/primary function display
- Garmin GTN650 coms/navigation display
- L-3 ESI-500 electronic standby indicator
- Rolls-Royce 250-C30 650shp turbine engine
- Extended landing gear
- Fargo 21 gallon auxiliary fuel tank
- Wire strike protection system
- High-contrast main rotor blades
- FLIR Star Safire 380HDc EOIR system
- TrakkaBeam A800 searchlight
Malaysian Army Aviation is set to receive an aircraft that features:
- Two Genesys Aerosystems IDU-680 6” x 9” LCD primary displays
- Tek Fusion Global’s Pathfinder mission management system
- ARES weapons management system on dual side-mounted mission displays