US Defense Department Orders Upgrade Work For V-22 Nacelles

By Dan Parsons | June 8, 2018
Send Feedback | @SharkParsons

The Bell-Boeing joint venture that builds the V-22 Osprey tiltrotor on June 6 nabbed a $47 million contract to maintain and upgrade the aircraft for the U.S. Navy and Air Force.

Under the cost-plus-fixed-fee delivery order, Bell-Boeing will provide non-recurring engineering work for the installation of optimized wiring and structural improvements, the Pentagon said in a June 6 announcement of the award.

The Defense Department wants to cut improvements to the aircraft's nacelle into the existing production line at Bell’s manufacturing plant in Fort Worth, Texas, and through “forced retrofits” of fielded Osprey’s at military depots.


Also included is delivery, installation, validation and further testing of one nacelle ship set for critical design review before production.

Most of the work – 84 percent – will be performed in Fort Worth, Texas, but also in Ridley Park, Penn.; Patuxent River, Md.; Fort Walton Beach, Fla. and Amarillo, Texas and is expected to be completed in July 2020

About $40 million, or 85 percent, of the work is for the Navy and the other $7.2 million, or 15 percent, is for the CV-22 flown by the U.S. Air Force Special Operations Command.

Receive the latest rotorcraft news right to your inbox